Is it possible to see an item I am interested in – in person?
Unfortunately, no. We are a peer-to-peer marketplace, so we don’t have products in our possession. If you have questions about a piece you are interested in, please ask us, and we will do our best to get you answers.
Can I buy products in my local area so I can pick the items up myself?
If a Seller has indicated that an item is available for Local Pick-Up, then yes. We will put you in contact to determine a mutually agreeable pick-up time.
Are your items used or new? How do I understand the ‘condition’ of the item?
Some of the items listed on Previously Owned by a Gay Man are previously owned, others are vintage or antique treasures, and many are brand new or showroom samples. Sellers describe the condition of their items, which we note in the description, and we ask the Seller to document with photos. New items and showroom pieces are clearly marked in their descriptions.
How are items priced? Am I getting a deal?
Sellers determine the price of their items – we recommend listing at about 50% of the original retail price. There is a wide range of inventory and thus, a wide range of prices! Valuable antiques, original artwork and custom furniture mingle with gently used decor and recognizable store brands…there is a deal for everyone on Previously Owned by a Gay Man.
Who pays for shipping? How does the shipping work?
The Buyer pays for shipping. If it is a small, lightweight item, the item will be sent via UPS. If it is a large, heavyweight item, we offer White Glove Delivery. For most items, you can choose to have your purchase delivered to the threshold of your location or unpacked in its destination room. If a Seller has indicated that an item is available for Local Pick-Up, we will put you in contact so that you may determine a mutually agreeable pick-up time. Shipping times vary, based on shipping method, point of origin, and destination. White Glove Delivery can take anywhere from 10 days to 8 weeks.
Once I put something in my cart, how long do I have to purchase it?
Adding an item to your cart does not put it on hold. It will still appear on the site, available for any Buyer to purchase.
What is your return policy?
Please see our return policy on the How It Works page.
I’ve never done anything like this before…how do I begin?
Click here. Really, it’s that easy. You will need photos, measurements, item descriptions, and the selling price. A few hints (because we’ve been around the block a few times):
- Description, description, description. The more info, the better. Our Buyers love details (brand, color, provenance, age, era, designer, wood type, finish, etc).
- Photos! Since Buyers are not able to get up-close-and-personal with the items on the site, your photos are key to selling your pieces. See Photo Tips below.
- We recommend listing your previously owned item for no more than half of the original purchase price. Our experience tells us that Buyers love a great deal, and well-priced items tend to sell more quickly. Need help with pricing? One of our curators will be happy to advise you. If your item has been on the site for 60 days, and you’d like to continue to list it for sale, it may be time to have The Talk (consider lowering the price).
What kind of photos do you want? How can I take the best photos?
- We need at least four photos of your item: 1) front view eye-level 2) side view, 3) top/back view, and 4) details/flaws. Clear your item of all accessories and try to isolate the piece from the rest of your fabulous possessions.
- Remember to take photos of any flaws or signs of wear. Our Buyers are willing to buy previously owned items, but they need to have a clear idea of what they are paying for.
- To avoid any returns, please make sure you adequately photograph and describe your item.
How do I determine the condition of my item?
With this handy guide:
New = with the tags and/or in box
Almost New = as if you just bought it
Excellent = barely used, perfect to the untrained eye
Good = slightly worn, has small flaws, but still looks great
Who sets the price of an item?
You do! But we can give you guidance – typically 30-50% of retail, plus or minus, depending on the condition.
My item sold! What now?
Congratulations! Please refer to our How It Works page.
Can a Buyer return an item to me?
Yes, they have the opportunity to place a return within 48 hours. Please see our Return Policy the How It Works page.
Who pays for shipping?
The Buyer pays for shipping. In the case of a return where the Buyer has a change of heart, the Buyer pays for both inbound and outbound shipping.
In the case of a return where the item arrives in a condition not consistent with the listing photos and descriptions, the Seller will be responsible for inbound and outbound shipping.
How do I ship my item (UPS, Local Pick-Up, White Glove Delivery)?
We will contact you when your item has sold. If it is a small, lightweight item, you will package it (or have UPS package it for you), affix a prepaid UPS label (which we will have sent you), and drop it off at an authorized UPS location. If it is a large, heavyweight item, we will coordinate with you to determine a time for your item to be packaged and picked up by our White Glove Delivery service. Shipping and delivery costs are paid by the Buyer.
If you have indicated that you will make your item available for Local Pick-Up, we will help you coordinate with the Buyer to make arrangements.
How do I know how to properly package my box?
Good question! UPS has some excellent tips on its website – here are a few:
- Choose a strong, undamaged–preferably new–corrugated box. You can use your own or order UPS packaging supplies.
- Wrap items individually with proper cushioning materials and then surround them with bubble sheeting and recyclable or foam loose-fill materials. Items should not directly touch the inside of the box.
- Carefully seal your package with pressure-sensitive plastic or nylon-reinforced tape at least two inches wide.
If your item is fragile and you are worried about packing it yourself, we recommend that you take it to the UPS Store and have them package it for you!
How long is an item listed?
Sellers agree to list an item for at least 90 days. If the item has not sold within 90 days, we may contact you to ask that you lower the price or delist it.
How do I delist an item?
If you decide to delist an item, please contact us at email@example.com.
When do I receive my payment?
We will begin processing your payment 48 hours after the item is safely in the hands of the Buyer. Typically, we issue payments on the first and fifteenth of each month.
Can I call you? Is there someone I can talk to?
Of course! We can be reached at 510-332-8789 or firstname.lastname@example.org.